Sunday, June 29, 2014

Week 2

It’s the end of week two! This week has been so eventful, and the pace is only going to pick up before our Fourth of July break!
Last Monday, we had a meeting with Actor’s Equity Association to learn more about what it means to join the union. Meeting with Tom Miller from AEA & Boston actor Michael Dell’Orto was interesting and insightful, and definitely gave me perspective on my own acting career. Michael Dell’Orto reminded us the importance of the time commitment when it comes to choosing a life in the theater. He also suggested we…
So, in short, I learned a lot from our AEA meeting.
This week was not only a big week for the Apprentices, but also for the cast of the mainstage, Twelfth Night. They had their first readthrough and the Apprentices got to sit in and watch. I was so impressed by the professionalism I saw, not only by the actors but also by the entire production team. The vision that the creative team has for this project is remarkable. 
During the design presentation, I was captivated by Yo-el’s innovative choreography for the prologue. With the play starting out with a shipwreck, Yo-el has created choreography to tell the story of the storm that tears Viola and Sebastian apart. Watching him develop symmetry and the breaking it, I couldn't stop thinking of Trisha Brown's Sololos.
I've worked on this piece before, and I performed it with a guy who could've been my twin. I remember the feeling of being in perfect unison and then feeling the obvious moments when we were not.
But all this leads me to the English major in me. I’ve reread Twelfth Night several times now and I can’t stop thinking about elements. Earth, wind, fire, water…and if characters embody qualities of these elements throughout the play. And I think the most interesting character to look at through this lens is…Olivia. Yikes. If you didn’t know, I have a hard time with Olivia’s character…and I make that pretty clear to everyone. Maybe I’ll learn to love? Get ready for the English major analysis of Olivia coming shortly.
Anyways, I’m looking forward to more of my one on interviews with the Apprentices. If you haven’t seen “Wherefore art thou,” check it out! I’ve finished a couple so far, and I’ve learned so much!
My favorite experience this week? I’m constantly impressed by the work of my peers in Paul’s class. He asked us to draw pictures of our voices as we see them now, how we want them to be, and what hinders us. I don't want to get too specific, but these moments in class are so intimate and beautiful, I just feel lucky to be able to witness the work that I see. It's courage.

CC

No comments:

Post a Comment