Monday, July 14, 2014

Week 4

The end of Week 4 marks the halfway point of the CSC Apprentice Program!

This week, we started rehearsing for the Apprentice production of Much Ado About Nothing! We had two successful readthroughs at the beginning of the week and have put a few scenes on their feet!

A few of us recorded the pre-show announcements for Twelfth Night! When I can post our group announcement, I'll put it up here. We started the recording by all saying "Thank you, and enjoy the show." Victoria said we sounded very "Children of the Corn," so that got cut. Get ready for some animated voiceovers coming soon to the Boston Common!


Also this week, we visited Brandeis University to learn more about their MFA program in Performance! Their program moving towards providing a home for artists to develop specific projects.

This MFA program resonated with me because at NYU, my studio encouraged and supported the creation of new work. For example, I wrote a musical called Squirrels (that premiered at Williamstown last summer) and choreographed Frieda Kahlo’s bus accident to “Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile.”

Honestly, a little experimental theatre never hurt anyone.

And, appropriately, this week we’ve been devising our Greenshows! My group, Team Simon, has been looking at themes of love and fate in Twelfth Night with a little influence from The Parent Trap. LiLo's Parent Trap.

"That's my Mum. That's my Dad."

On Friday, we all went to George’s Island to watch the CSC performance of Henry. We had the most perfect weather! I loved exploring the island and spending time with the other Apprentices.

Which leads me to my experience of the week! Courtney, Mitchell and I took a walk on George’s Island. It was so beautiful. And they are both beautiful people. We climbed up a hill, and this is what we saw:



Last night we talked with our Yoga for the Actor instructor, Olivia D’Ambrosio about Bridge Repertory Theater. She told us about how she got to where she was. She told us that everyone should spend time in New York City because it makes you feel badass if you actually do it.

This week, I kept going back and forth about whether or not moving back to NYC was right for me. On our day off on Monday, I went to the city to look for an apartment. Nothing was right. Everything was so expensive and in terrible locations. I left feeling completely lost.

I talked with many Apprentices about what they thought, and they were all so helpful. Here, I’d like to call attention to the extraordinary people in this program. Anyways, late Friday night I decided I had to go into the city one last time, and if nothing worked, I was moving back to Boston.

And when I got to the city, everything came together. We put in an application for the perfect apartment. It felt easy Saturday, but I definitely couldn’t have made that decision without the support of the Apprentices.

In John Patrick Shanley’s Savage in Limbo, Savage says, “I feel strong. I feel ready.”



CC

No comments:

Post a Comment