Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Week 7

Week 7 was an exciting, nerve-wracking, stirring, belligerent, and supple week at CSC (Hi Team Simon.) This week, Twelfth Night had their opening and press nights, Team Simon performed their Greenshow, the Apprentices performed their combat scenes on the Common, and we're still hard at work with Much Ado About Nothing. WOW.

It was cool being on the Common for Twelfth Night’s press night. The stakes were so high, as expected. I was working the info tent that night, so I got to meet a lot of the press people as the company members greeted them. Everyone in the company seemed excited, and it was awesome to be right in the action.  

I always find it interesting to see what people write about in reviews. Whether acting, direction, or design dictate their criticisms or praises. Basically I just want to know who the critic is.

Opening night was also an awesome night to be on the Common. Side note: Team Simon has a great schedule; we got to perform our Greenshow that night. I definitely explained what a Greenshow is. Ours explores fate and love and twins. You remember my LiLo post.

Later that night, the Apprentices got to attend the opening night part at Carrie Nation. I played pool with Tim, who’s in CSC2. We almost won, but I knocked the white ball in after the 8 ball. I don't really know what any of that means. Yikes. It was nice to spend a night in a different setting with people in this company. They’re all so sincere and dedicated. I really admire this company's work ethic.

On Friday afternoon, we showed our combat scenes on the Boston Common. Angie Jepson, our combat teacher, let us choose scenes to put combat phrases to. We changed the phrases to help convey the story in our scenes. I did the Tybalt/Benvolio scene. I was obviously Tybalt. After working more on combat, I actually learned to really like it. For some reason I was really able to jump into anger. Maybe it's because I was holding weapons.


A CHANGE IN TOPIC. I really enjoy meeting the people in the audience. If you remember my semi-political blog post last week, you’ll get why. I met last year’s iPad winner. I met a corgi named Daisy. I met a guy who’s been to every CSC show. I met Kerry O’Malley’s friends.

And beyond the new people I met, I didn’t realize I’d run into so many of my friends at the shows, some I haven’t seen in years!

I want to take a second to talk about the city of Boston. I’ve lived in Boston for my entire life, and truly, it’s one of a kind. It’s a city that has so much heart, not just in it’s culture, but in it’s history. And the sports are great too.


In 3 weeks, I'm moving back to NYC. But I know that with this move, I'll really miss Boston. Even though I spent my last four years at NYU, Boston has always been close to my heart.

I read this essay my freshman year at NYU about a woman who knew it was time to move out of NYC. She had lived there for 10 years and realized that in a city with millions of people, there was no way to start new. She had the same friends, same apartment, same job and felt stuck. One day she was walking out of the subway and through the smell of NYC, she smelled a peach and left.

NYC is the big apple. Boston is my peach.

I can’t believe that this week is our 8th and final week of the Apprentice program, meaning next week is my last blog post! Really I need to thank those who read this blog, especially considering I’ve never really been good at writing. Hopefully I’m not the only one getting something out of this.

Also, apologizing is not my favorite thing. I might take all that back.

I’ll leave you all with an F. Scott Fitzgerald quote that I’ve been thinking about recently. Maybe it's because I just reread This Side of Paradise. It’s something to think about as we approach the end.


“The sentimental person thinks things will last, the romantic person has a desperate confidence that they won't.”

CC

No comments:

Post a Comment