Thursday, August 14, 2014

Week 8

We’ve reached the end of the Apprentice program! 

We performed Much Ado About Nothing last weekend at Babson, the Modern Theatre at Suffolk University and at Hyde Playground in Newton. I loved performing in new spaces each day. I particularly loved Hyde because it was outdoors and very unpredictable. A guy just walked through the end of the wedding scene. Yikes. But that’s outdoor theater!

We also finished FOHing for Twelfth Night. We drove into the city for strike after our last show and it was actually more enjoyable than I thought. The Apprentices are pretty goofy. Standing near Kyle W. Porter helped.

But less about what we actually did during our last week (sorry) and onto what I actually want to talk about...

ENDINGS.

What does it mean to find an ending? 

My movement teachers at Tisch would always ask us to "find an ending" during improvisations. Here's my attempt.

I’m very thankful for the past 8 weeks with Commonwealth Shakespeare Company. It was just what I was looking for. I needed something to propel me from graduation into my acting career in NYC, and this program was that appropriate bridge. An email from Adam came at the perfect time, and I can say now, it could've been fate. I don't really believe in fate, but I could believe it just from what this program has meant to me.

I like to think about all meaningful experiences as snow globes on a shelf. Within each snow globe are experiences, memories, and friendships locked in time. Because no matter how much we wish, we will never experience what we experienced over the past 8 weeks again. And that's okay, in fact, it's kind of beautiful. And as I reflect on all that's happened here, I can say that my Commonwealth Shakespeare snow globe is full of things I never expected.

Crazy car rides with Team Simon, the river with Yoel, encouraging talks with Jordan, being on the same page as Alexis, and finding my incredible friendship with Courtney. Being thirsty with Devin, watching Simon open up, having Adam’s response sessions, being blind with Sari and listening to Sweeney beg for me to sleepover. Kyle W. Porter calling me “Casey,” learning combat with Edmund, eating snacks with Sophie, feeling up Griff for the sake of art, and being Al’s sometimes roommate. Sharing voice pictures with Paul, talking Squirrels with Chet, believing in ghosts with Geoff, and loving Literature with Kyle Walton. I never thought I’d meet anyone like Mitchell. To Marielle always making me smile, to the one day Team Simon decided to change things up, to Kay being tougher and more courageous than you’d think. Emma with the damn grapefruit, Rebecca and her Instagram, and Andy for getting me. Watching Mae be herself and having Meredith Marie Powell understand my focal point problem when I can't speak to people directly. From info tent talks on the Common, to celebrating birthdays, hanging with the Moms or all of the temporary tattoos we got this summer, these past 8 weeks have meant an incredible amount to me. Because this program leaves room for exploration. Not only exploration of self and others, but also exploration of Shakespeare. It let this Adriana find her inner Juliet.

And because of that, I think F. Scott Fitzgerald is right. I'm not sentimental. I’m going to put this experience on my shelf with my other snow globes. 

Whenever a meaningful experience ends for me, I never try to drag it out. It makes more sense in my heart. These 8 weeks have been an incredible 8 weeks, but the program has ended. What’s happened has happened, and I feel very grateful for my time as an Apprentice, but also, its end. 

Here is the bookend.  I would like to thank Adam, Victoria, all of the teachers we’ve worked with. I would like to thank the company of Twelfth Night and CSC2. Without the diligent and hardworking team around us, this program wouldn’t have been the same.

I began this blog during Week 1 determined to write about the Apprentices. I had no idea what the next 7 weeks would bring, but I was right. This program was all about what I saw in my peers; therefore, the biggest thanks goes to you all. Thank you for being incredible artists, inspiring people and loyal friends.

Now a quote, well, lyric, that I think is appropriate. Mitchell said "Closing Time" could be Team Simon's theme, but maybe the last lyric is the group's appropriate send off. Anyways, I hope this finds you well.

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."

Good luck.

CC


No comments:

Post a Comment