Monday, August 18, 2014

Wherefore art thou, Andy Jimenez?

Wherefore art thou,
Andy Jimenez?

I think it’s an appropriate mood.
Of course.
It’s just Frank, it’s a little soft, you know? It’s a little cliché. You know what, I’m a little over him. Like, maybe next time I’ll do Ella. Whoever my next victim is.

Okay. So this is Andy Part II. Andy, what happened to your phone?
Oh, my phone got uh, wet.

And what was on that wet phone?
Our interview.
Our interview.
Our interview.
So you’ve twice been…
Yes. Now I can change all my answers.

What is your name?
Andy Jimenez.

Where are you from?
Brooklyn, New York.

Where did you go to school?
Kingsborough Community College.
That’s right.

Okay, what attracted you to this program?
Well, Caroline, you see, I was at this competition called KCACTF and they were doing auditions, so I went. And I heard about the program from last year’s winner, cause they were offering one person a scholarship and that person who got the scholarship last year was there and she was telling me all about the program and I knew that I needed something cause my school doesn’t really work on classical material, so I knew that I needed to do something along those lines because id never done, I’m very new to Shakespeare, so I just wanted to get in there and just get up all in there. I just wanted to get it.
Get in there.
Get in there.

Um, what, what is your favorite Shakespeare play?
Well, Caroline, I would say Comedy of Errors because I said that last time, but it changes.
Have you had time to think about a new answer?
I’ve had time to think about a new answer.
What are you gonna say now?
Honestly, I’m gonna say Twelfth Night. I don’t know. It stole my heart.
Give me a reason.
My, um, I just think that like, it’s just beautiful, it’s…it’s just gorgeous, like the language, the l, it’s just made me feel the language and for like the abundance of love happening and I mean, Shakespeare’s just uh, like, fusion of characters and like, who, and like, misidentities is always fun, but like, the love aspect of Orsino’s dying love for Olivia and Olivia’s dying love for Cesario and Viola’s dying love for the Duke, I don’t know, it’s just beautiful.

Who’s your favorite character?
Viola.
Why?
Because she’s willing to sacrifice, at least at some point, she’s willing to sacrifice her love for Orsino and go on this journey to help him woo another woman.

It’s nuts. It’s crazy.
Yeah, it's crazy pants.

We listen to the same Frank songs every time. But it's nuts. If you think about it for too long, it's like what the? How did you come up with...something that's so legit?
And to think that, about, thinking about like, how people that, people that like, aren't really exposed to Shakespeare, how they take...they could be like, "What?!" It's just like, ridic.

Um, okay, now, who is your favorite Shakespeare character in general? In the general sense. Like if you had to choose one character right now, who would you choose?
Beatrice.
Bea?
Bea.
I don't know why I call her Bea, but I do call her Bea. I don't know.
I like Beatrice. I love women that are ahead of the curve, especially for, like, his writing when he wrote these plays. I think he idolized women.
He loved women. I, I...
I think he was fierce, so like, every fierce man loves his women. I don't know.
I think that's right. I don't know.
Like, strong women.
It's just like, how?
I think, I think it's the women in his life. I think like, his wife, I think he just, he fell in love with a woman who was much older than him. At first, that was the mother of his kids. He, I think, she had to have some way to lock him down.
It's just nuts to me. 
I'm sorry, is this interview about you or...
Oh, I'm sorry...
No, I'm just kidding...
I won't stop talking, sorry. They become more conversations.
I like it like that.
I need to stop talking.
I was just joking.
It's just, he talks about stuff that we haven't figured out today. It's nuts. How do you that? So many years later.
I think one thing, that like, has resonated with me cause I've had a lot of time to think on the MTA...I think that being an artist, or I don't know about being an artist, but being an actor in general, you are constantly checking in with who you are as a person because being a good person is being a good actor and you're constantly checking in and, and analyzing everything. And I think that as an artist, or at least Shakespeare was an actor, that sort of checking in with yourself and the world around you...and I think that he, he was such an artist that he was able, it was able to click with him. He was able to see it so clearly, you know, because he, he was always checking in with that inner voice.
I think it's honesty, too. He's honest. Now...
But honesty can be confusing because back then, you only know what you know. Like, in society we are told what he knows, what fact is is what everyone agrees as fact, so for him to see, he sees beyond that. It's like...It's crazy pants. It is.

Do you wanna do a monologue?
No.
You have to do a monologue.
Why?
Turn Frank off.
Every time.
A new piece. Do you have a new mono?
I do.
Go ahead.
Can I do it right here?
Yeah, right here lying on my couch.



I think it's interesting when people look at me or when they don't look at me. That's what I'm learning...a lot about people. Like, are you the type of person who gives the monologue looking at me or not...and you were looking at me.
Is that a good thing?
I'm not saying, but I have my opinion on it.
What's your opinion?
Who the hell are you talking to if you're not talking to me? You know what I mean? I remember every single person who looked at me and every person that didn't...because it makes a difference. I'm right here.
Wow. That touched me. Right...
I'm right here.
I'm looking at you, Caroline. I see you.
Who are you speaking to? Uh, sorry, this isn't about me.
No.
It is kinda about me, you know. You learn a lot about people.
Especially in a program like this, I have to say, you do learn a lot about people.
8 weeks together. We're only at 6. It's been, it's the start of 7.
We're two days into it, we have 5 days after this and then another 7. It's gonna go by like (snap.)
That's crazy.
It's crazy.
Didn't we just get here?
It kinda feels like it's been a year.
It feels like it's been a long time, like I feel like I, you know, I over know, I even over share with these people, but uh, yeah...

An experience you've had here that you love..that you'd love to share with me? Maybe you didn't love it. Anything that's happened to you here.
I don't think I've had much time to process where I am in my process here because everything's been so go-go, get ready for the next thing, but I would say like, I'd just say voice class. I mean I still think back on it and cringe about like, what I've shared and about how open I've been. But there, they there have been things that I didn't know weighed heavy on me until I had taken the class. And also, I think I thought I was a way better actor than I was before I came here, and I think that that's awesome, ya know, cause I feel like...I feel like I had a great year and...not knowing, I've unknowingly gone into like, complacency with myself. And I used to be a very hard worker and I think, I'm still finding that work ethic again. And the confidence to work.

Do you have a piece of advice you want to share?
Everyone's different. Like everyo, everyone's process could be different and you can't, you can't gage your success on other people's success, if that makes any sense. Like, you can't say anyone else has done it, so I can't say, "Caroline's done it this way and she got her job when she was this age and she got cast as a lead all through college and that's...that's what I need to do." You know, I think you just need to continue like, working towards being a better, a better artist and when you put artistry first, you get out of your own way. And you just start to frolic. Like a fairy. Like me.

Please buy my EP on iTunes...it's called uh, Andy. It's a self title.

No comments:

Post a Comment